Other Resources For Employers
- United States Access Board – develops and maintains design criteria for the built environment, transit vehicles, telecommunications equipment, medical diagnostic equipment, and information technology. It also provides technical assistance and training on these requirements and on accessible design and continues to enforce accessibility standards that cover federally funded facilities.
- Disability.gov – a comprehensive online resource designed to provide people with disabilities with quick and easy access to information. Provides access to disability-related information and programs available across the government on numerous subjects, including benefits, civil rights, community life, education, employment, housing, health, technology and transportation.
- Health and Human Services Office on Disability (OD) – oversees the implementation and coordination of disability programs, policies and special initiatives pertaining to the over 54 million persons with disabilities in the United States.
- Job Accommodation Network (JAN) – 1-800-526-7234 (Voice);1-877-781-9403 (TTY). JAN provides free consulting services for all employers, regardless of the size of an employer’s workforce. Services include one-on-one consultation about all aspects of job accommodations, including the accommodation process, accommodation ideas, product vendors, referral to other resources, and ADA compliance assistance.
- National Business & Disability Council – The NBDC is a leading resource for employers seeking to integrate people with disabilities into the workplace and companies seeking to reach them in the consumer marketplace.
- Northwest ADA Information Center: – 1-800-949-4232 one of ten regional ADA Information Centers that provide ADA information, training and technical assistance to businesses.
- U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) ADA Home Page – the ADA Home Page includes many excellent resources for employers. The “ADA Business Connection” section of this site includes business briefs ad tax incentive information.
- USDOL Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP) – 1-866-633-7365 Employer Policy Team examines the issues facing employers as they seek to hire, accommodate and advance employees with disabilities. This team works to shape disability employment policies that meet the needs of employers and people with disabilities. Disseminates effective employer practices and articulates the unique perspectives of businesses regarding the employment of people with disabilities.
- U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission – 1-800-669-4000 the EEOC enforces the ADA’s employment provisions. The section of its Web site titled “Disability Discrimination” provides access to numerous publications, including several specifically designed to answer employer questions and concerns.
WA State Resources
- For Business – 360-902-5800 (Voice); TTY 1-800-833-6388. General Business Resources: Safety & Health; Claims & Insurance; Workplace Rights; Trades & Licensing and much more.